If you’ve ever experienced VR, then you know how hard it is not to share the experience with friends or family.
Here’s how to easily cast your Oculus quest to your Samsung or apple tv.
How To Cast Oculus Quest 2 to Apple TV
The first thing you’ll need to know is that the oculus quest casts via Chromecast, and since Apple TV devices use Airplay instead, you have two options. You can either cast your Oculus quest to your phone, then mirror it to your Apple TV or purchase a Chromecast device and cast it directly to the Chromecast device.
Method #1 Casting via the Airplay method
Here’s how to cast your Oculus Quest 2 to your Apple TV using Airplay
- On your Oculus Quest, go to the oculus home menu,
- Select “Sharing”, then select “Casting.”
- and cast your Oculus Quest to your Mobile app (make sure both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network)
- Open the Oculus mobile App and accept the casting initial on your phone
- Now swipe down from the upper right corner and select screen mirroring.
And that’s it! Your gameplay should now display on your Apple TV.
Method #2 Casting via Chromecast Device
The second method involves purchasing a Chromecast device. All you would need to do is connect your Chromecast device to your TV, similarly to how you would connect an Apple TV device. Once set up, all you would need to do is go to your Oculus Quest Home Menu > Select Sharing > and cast to your Chromecast device directly. And that’s it! It’s as simple as that.
A Few Known Issues With Casting
Although casting is an incredible feature added to the Oculus Quest, it may not always work as intended. Here are a few known issues that tend to occur according to Oculus.
- Chromecast compatibility can’t be guaranteed with all TV models.
- Issues may arise when casting and recording simultaneously.
- Exiting or minimizing the Oculus app can interrupt casting.
- Additionally, casting may increase battery usage or degrade your in-app performance.
Why is my Oculus Quest not casting to my Phone?
Issues with casting are very common, unfortunately. However, it mainly comes down to connectivity issues. Here’s what to do.
- Ensure Both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi Network
- Ensure Bluetooth is turned on on your Phone
- Remove your Oculus Quest from your device’s Bluetooth list, then re-connect
- Reboot both your devices
- Check your router settings; you’ll want all instances of IP multicasting enabled as well as P2P connections
- Power Cycle your Modem & Router
- Reset your Oculus Quest
Take a look at our complete guide for more information on this.
1. Ensure Both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi Network
If both devices aren’t connected to the same Wi-Fi network, then your Oculus Quest won’t cast. This is because your Oculus and device communicate with each other via Wi-Fi.
Additionally, you will want to make sure you have Bluetooth turned on on your device, or your device will prevent the casting process.
2. Remove your Oculus Quest from your device’s Bluetooth list, then re-connect
A common issue users face is when trying to cast while Oculus Notification is turned on. For some reason, this tends to cause issues with the casting process. And the most common solution is to simply forget your Oculus Quest headset from your device’s Bluetooth list.
3. Reboot both your devices
Rebooting both your device and Oculus Quest may solve the issue; this is because one of your devices may be experiencing issues maintaining a stable connection. And more often than not, restarting your device should be enough to solve the issue.
4. Check your router settings; you’ll want all instances of IP multicasting enabled as well as P2P connections.
Next, check your router settings and make sure that you have all instances of IP Multicast enabled as well as P2P connections. This ensures that your Oculus Quest can effectively communicate with your device.
If you’re still experiencing issues casting, then try using both a 2.4 and 5.0GHz Wi-Fi connection. Important to note: The Oculus Quest headset and smartphone need to be on the same band.
5. Power Cycle your Modem & Router
Next, try power cycling your modem and routers on your network and try again. Your Oculus Quest 2 needs Wi-Fi to communicate between all the devices and ultimately, cast to your phone. Issues with Wi-Fi will interrupt the casting process.
6. Reset your Oculus Quest
If none of the solutions above seemed to work your last option is to reset your Oculus Quest. However, it’s important to note that this will delete everything on your device.
How to Record Video on The Oculus Quest 2
Another way you can share your VR experience with your friends or family, is to simply record your VR adventures.
Recording Video on the Oculus Quest 2 is fairly simple and can be done in a matter of seconds. Here’s how:
- Go to your Oculus Home Menu, and select the “Sharing” icon
- next; select “Recording,” located on the top right corner.
- And that’s it! You’ll now be able to record your gameplay.
You’ll be able to access your recording on your Oculus “File” app & on your Oculus Quest mobile app; simply make sure you enable Auto-Sync so your videos instantly appear on your Oculus mobile app once it’s finished recording.
If you would like to record your Oculus Quest with the device’s built-in microphone, then make sure you toggle on the “Include Mic Audio”, when selecting to cast your device.
How to Download Oculus Recordings in Wide Screen
One thing you may have already noticed when recording and viewing your footage is that footage recorded on the Oculus Quest is shot and presented vertically. There is a way to record your videos with a wide screen. However, you’ll need to go through a few hurdles first.
You’ll need to sign up for an Oculus Developer account; this allows you to customize certain settings on your Oculus Quest by using Sidequest. After signing up as a Developer, you’ll now need to install SideQuest on your Account.
Once completed, you’ll be able to adjust a few settings on your Oculus Quest. Scroll down to Video recordings and select 1080p resolution, and that’s it! Your videos should now have a wider screen.