The Oculus Quest 2, released in October of 2020, is one of the leading VR headsets still available today. If you own an Oculus Quest 2 headset or if you are thinking of investing in VR equipment, you may be curious about charging times. If you are wondering how long it takes to charge the Oculus Quest 2 and how you can improve your headset’s ability to improve its charge, read below for more information.
How Long Does it Take to Charge the Oculus Quest 2?
While plugged in and not in use, the Oculus Quest 2 requires anywhere between 2 to 3 hours to complete a full charge.
How Long Does the Battery Life Last While Gaming With the Oculus Quest 2 Headset?
Once you have completed a full charge, you will have the ability to game while using the Oculus Quest 2 for up to 2 full hours. While two hours of gaming may not seem like a lot of time, especially once you are fully immersed in a game or world, there are many different methods you can use to help extend the battery life of your headset.
How Long Does the Battery Life Last While Streaming Media With the Oculus Quest 2 Headset?
If you choose to use your Oculus Quest 2 headset to stream media instead of playing games (regardless of your preferred platform), you can expect the headset to remain on and charged for up to 3 hours. Although it is not very different from playing games, solely streaming media or music can tack on another hour of use after your Oculus Quest 2 headset has been fully charged.
What Do I Need to Charge an Oculus Quest 2 Headset?
Charging an Oculus Quest 2 VR headset is possible with the use of a USB-C charging cable. A USB-C charging cable is included with every new purchase of an Oculus Quest 2 headset. Today, USB-C is used in most devices and pieces of equipment on the market as a universal charging and plugging port.
It is also important to keep in mind that there are alternative methods to charge your Oculus Quest 2 headset, such as using a charging dock. One of the most well-known charging docks available that is compatible with the Oculus Quest 2 VR headset is the Anker Charging Dock.
How Long Does it Take to Charge the Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset Using the Anker Charging Dock?
If you choose to go the route of charging your Oculus Quest 2 headset with the use of an Anker Charging Dock, you can still expect the charging process to take approximately 2.5 hours to complete.
When Should You Charge the Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset?
Whenever you are using your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset, you may wonder at what point you should begin charging the device. Typically, it is best to begin charging the Oculus Quest 2 VR headset once your headset is at 25% battery or lower.
How to Check the Charge Percentage of the Oculus Quest 2 Headset
Once you launch your Oculus Quest 2 headset’s UI, look towards the bottom left of the main UI where you can manage the settings and connection of your headset. You will see dots that display how much of a charge your headset has left. Each dot represents 25%. When you only see one lit or active dot, your Oculus Quest 2 only has 25% of its charge remaining.
Tips to Improve Your Oculus Quest 2 Headset’s Battery Life
While you may find yourself limited in terms of the time you have available to play with your Oculus Quest 2 headset once it is charged, there are a few tips to keep in mind that may help you to extend your headset’s battery life, such as:
- Power down: Always power down your Oculus Quest 2 headset when you are done playing or whenever it is not in use. Avoid placing your headset in sleep mode, and instead, ensure the power button is held down until the light (indicator light) on the headset itself turns off completely. You should also hear an audible tone that is an indicator that the headset has also been powered down successfully.
- Use a proper charger: When you want to maximize your Oculus Quest 2 headset’s battery life, stick to the charger you are provided with from the Quest 2 manufacturer. If you lose your charger or if your charger is no longer working or charging properly, invest in an official Oculus Quest 2 charger for the best outcome whenever you charge your headset.
- Avoid overcharging: Another tip to keep in mind is to avoid overcharging your Oculus Quest 2 headset. Instead, it is best to remove your headset from the charger as soon as you notice it is nearly complete in terms of its charging percentage. Allowing your headset to sit on a charger for an extended period of time can ultimately drain your headset’s battery life and shorten it.
- Invest in an extra battery: It is also possible to invest in an additional battery or an add-on battery, depending on your preferences and budget. Having an extra battery for your VR Oculus Quest 2 headset is a way to alleviate any pressure you may feel while playing or while attempting to extend the lifespan of your current headset’s battery.
- Unplug your headset: Once you have fully charged your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset and it is no longer in use, you may want to unplug the headset from any power source to prevent a potential battery drain or leak. Keeping any device plugged into power for an extended period of time can lead to the breakdown of the device’s internal battery system.
What are the Pros and Cons of Using a Charging Dock?
Using a charging dock for your Oculus Quest 2 headset provides a few benefits, such as:
- The ability to charge your Oculus Quest 2 headset in 2.5 hours, instead of 3, which may be required when using a standard charger.
- Easily connect your headset to the docking charger without the hassle of managing cords and plugs.
- Some wireless charging docks, such as the Anker Charging Dock, come with additional rechargeable batteries that can be used for your headset as well as the controllers you are using with the Oculus Quest 2 itself.
However, while there are benefits to using a wireless charging dock such as the Anker Charging Dock, there are sometimes a few drawbacks that should be considered when using a wireless charger, such as:
- You will need to purchase an Anker Charging Dock separately, as the only charging option that comes standard with an Oculus Quest 2 headset is the included USB-C cord.
- It is not possible to still use your VR headset while it is charging. When you opt to charge your VR headset with the use of a USB-C cord, you may still have the ability to stream some forms of media and, in some cases, you may still retain access to your gaming library.
If you are thinking of using a charging dock for your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset, always verify that the dock you choose is compatible with the headset you own.
Is There Any Other Way to Extend the Battery Life of the Oculus Quest 2 Headset?
Yes. You can also invest in the Oculus Quest 2 Elite Strap. The Elite Strap is available for the Oculus Quest 2 VR headset and comes with an additional battery that is designed specifically for the Oculus Quest 2.
What is the Benefit of Using the Elite Strap for the Oculus Quest 2?
Using the model-specific Elite Strap for the Oculus Quest 2 VR headset is a way to nearly double the overall battery life you have with your headset, even while playing games or streaming your favorite media. With the Elite Strap, your Oculus Quest 2 headset will first attempt to pull power directly from the additional battery included with your Elite Strap, followed by only then pulling power from the battery included inside of the headset itself.
Is it Necessary to Purchase the Elite Strap for the Oculus Quest 2 Headset?
No. There are many options available to help extend the battery life of your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset and there are many different external batteries on the market that you may want to consider. However, it is important to keep in mind that the battery included with the Oculus Quest 2 Elite Strap is designed specifically for Oculus Quest 2. If you prefer to use batteries that are designed by the same manufacturer as the Oculus Quest 2 headset, the Elite Strap may be a solid investment for your gaming setup.
Investing in an Oculus Quest 2 is a great way to immediately immerse yourself in the new world of VR. Whether you are excited about playing with family and friends in VR or if you are looking to build new skills and meet other VR users from around the world, the Oculus Quest 2 headset is a great device for anyone, regardless of skill level.