Nintendo Switch has become one of the most popular gaming consoles around the globe, offering countless hours of entertainment for gamers of all ages.
However, there might come a time when you need to change the age on your Nintendo account, whether it’s due to a simple mistake or a change in circumstances.
In this article, we will discuss the available options and potential workarounds for updating your age on the Nintendo Switch.
How to Change Your Age on Nintendo Switch?
Nintendo has a strict policy when it comes to changing the date of birth on a user’s account. Once the account has been created and the date of birth is set, there is no direct option for users to modify this information. This policy applies to all Nintendo consoles, including the Nintendo Switch.
If you have accidentally set the wrong date of birth on your account or have a genuine reason for needing to change it, the only course of action is to contact Nintendo Support. They can guide you through the process and may be able to help adjust the date of birth on your account.
When contacting Nintendo Support, be prepared to provide the following information:
- Your Nintendo account’s email address and nickname.
- The current date of birth on your account and the correct date of birth you wish to update it to.
- A brief explanation of the reason for the change.
- Proof of age or identity, such as a scanned copy of your ID, birth certificate, or other relevant documents. Nintendo Support may request this to verify your identity and ensure that the change is legitimate.
After contacting Nintendo Support, there are several possible outcomes:
- Successful age update: If Nintendo Support is able to verify your identity and the reason for the change is deemed valid, they may update your age on your account.
- Additional verification required: Nintendo Support might request additional documentation or information before they can proceed with the change. In this case, follow their instructions and provide the necessary documents as soon as possible.
- Denied request: In some cases, Nintendo Support may deny your request to change your age on your account. This could happen if they determine that the change is not valid or if they are unable to verify your identity. If this occurs, you may need to explore alternative solutions, such as creating a new account or adjusting parental controls.
Nintendo’s Policy on Changing Account Age
There are several reasons behind Nintendo’s policy on changing the date of birth on user accounts:
- Age-appropriate content: Nintendo strives to provide a safe gaming environment for players of all ages. By restricting the ability to change the age on accounts, Nintendo ensures that age-related content restrictions remain in place and that users are only exposed to appropriate content for their age group.
- Compliance with legal requirements: In many jurisdictions, there are laws and regulations governing the distribution of age-restricted content. Nintendo’s policy helps the company comply with these legal requirements by preventing users from bypassing age restrictions.
- Prevention of account misuse: Restricting the ability to change the date of birth helps prevent users from exploiting the system to gain access to age-restricted content or to create multiple accounts with different ages. This ensures a fair and secure gaming environment for all users.
Overall, Nintendo’s policy on changing account age is designed to maintain a safe and enjoyable gaming experience for all players, while also complying with legal requirements and preventing account misuse.
Creating a New Nintendo Account
If you are unable to resolve the issue through Nintendo Support, you can consider creating a new Nintendo account with the correct date of birth and linking it to your Nintendo Switch.
However, this method comes with some drawbacks, such as the potential loss of saved game data, purchases, or friends list associated with the original account. If you choose this option, be prepared to start fresh with your new account.
To create a new Nintendo account with the correct date of birth, follow these steps:
- Visit the Nintendo Account creation page (https://accounts.nintendo.com/register).
- Enter your email address and select “Next.”
- Fill out the required information, including your desired nickname, password, and date of birth. Make sure to enter the correct date of birth this time.
- Complete the email verification process by clicking the link sent to your email address.
- On your Nintendo Switch, go to System Settings > Users > Add Friend, and select “Sign In” under the “Sign In and Link” section.
- Enter the email address and password associated with your new Nintendo account.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the linking process.
Adjusting Parental Controls
If your account is linked to a parent or guardian’s account and your age restrictions are due to parental controls, ask the account holder to adjust the settings to grant you more access to content. This method only works if the age-related restrictions are due to parental control settings and not the actual age on your Nintendo account.
Changing your age on the Nintendo Switch can be a challenging process, as the company has implemented restrictions to maintain a safe gaming environment.
Contacting Nintendo Support should always be your first step when facing account-related issues. If that doesn’t work, you can consider creating a new account with the correct date of birth or adjusting parental controls if applicable.
Always double-check your information when creating an account to avoid running into problems in the future.