If you want to play on your Xbox, you will need an appropriate head system to listen to your game and communicate with your playmates. Unfortunately, not all headsets and headphones work with Xbox, especially not wireless models. What about Bose headphones?
Bose headphones are not considered compatible with your Xbox. However, with a little extra time, tools, and ingenuity, you can connect both wired and wireless Bose headphones to your Xbox.
This article explains why Bose isn’t considered a compatible brand and how to connect your headphones to your Xbox. Keep reading to learn more.
Why Aren’t Bose Headphones Compatible?
Xbox has never made it easy to connect different headphones and headsets that are not sold by Xbox exclusively. Wireless headphones are even more difficult to connect because Xbox has its own wireless protocol that is similar to Bluetooth but operates at a higher RF.
As a result, you can’t simply plug in Bose headphones or connect them via Bluetooth to your Xbox. Instead, you must take a couple of extra steps to make compatibility an option.
How to Connect Wired Bose Headphones with Xbox
If you have a recent version of the Xbox One controller, it will be really easy to connect your wired Bose headphones to your Xbox. Recent controllers come with a 3.5-millimeter jack. Simply plug the Bose headphones into this jack, and they are ready to work.
If you have an older model controller, you can still use your wired Bose headphones, but you need an adapter. Simply purchase an adapter and place it inside the controller’s expansion port. The expansion port will come with a 3.5-millimeter jack. Plug the headphones into the jack.
How to Connect Wireless Bose Headphones with Xbox
Connecting wireless Bose headphones is a bit more difficult. You will have to take an alternative route to connect wireless headphones, Bose or otherwise. There are three ways that you can connect your wireless Bose headphones to your Xbox: PC connection, TV connection, and Bluetooth transmitter.
If you have a Windows PC account, this is a great option for you. It works whenever you connect your Xbox to your PC using the same network.
- Download the Microsoft app and log into your account.
- Allow the app to work on your PC.
- Connect it to your Xbox.
- Go to the Xbox app and add a device. This option should be located at the top left corner.
- Search for your Xbox and it will connect once it is detected.
- After connecting, you can control all of your Xbox functions using your computer, which means you can utilize your computer’s Bluetooth mechanism to connect to your Bose headphones.
Once you activate the computer’s Bluetooth mechanism and the two devices pair, you should be able to use your wireless headphones as expected.
Using the TV to connect your wireless headphones to your Xbox works very similarly to the above method.
- Connect the Xbox HDMI cable to your TV.
- Using the TV remote, select the Xbox HDMI video source.
- Connect your wireless Bluetooth Bose headphones to the TV.
Now, you can use your Bose wireless headphones with your Xbox.
A Bluetooth transmitter acts as the middleman between your headphones and controller. Purchase a compatible transmitter.
- Turn on the transmitter.
- Plug the transmitter into the Xbox controller jack or adapter.
- Turn on your headphones and allow them to enter into pairing mode.
- Hold the pairing button down on the Bluetooth transmitter for a few seconds for the devices to connect.
After the devices have paired, you can use your wireless headphones.
What Headphones Work with Xbox?
Unfortunately, you cannot use all headphones with your Xbox without additional parts or effort. whether or not you can use your headphones with Xbox depends on the type of headphones, whether they are wired or wireless, and what generation controller you have.
If you have wired headphones, most can work with your Xbox. If you have the recent generation of controllers, there will be a 3.5-millimeter jack that you can plug the headphones into. With this generation controller, you should be able to pair nearly all wired headphones with your Xbox.
However, first-generation controllers do not have this jack, which means you will have to use an adapter instead. Once you get the adapter, you will be able to connect most headphones to your Xbox using an adapter.
One of the biggest complaints about Xbox is that their system is not compatible with most Bluetooth technology. There are a few wireless headphones that are designed for the Xbox. Here is a list of wireless headphones that are compatible with the Xbox:
- Astro A40 TR Headset + MixAmp M80
- Astro A50 Wireless Headset + Base Station
- Corsair Hs75 Xb Wireless Gaming Headset
- HyperX CloudX Flight Wireless Gaming Headset
- Kingston HuperX Cloud II Headset
- Lucid Sound LS35X Wireless Surround Sound Gaming Headset
- Lucid Sound LS50X
- LVL40 Wired Gaming Headset
- Razer Thresher
- Razer Thresher Ultimate
- Steel Series Arctis 9X Gaming Headset
- Turtle Beach Elite Pro 2 Headset + SuperAmp
- Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2 Wireless Gaming Headset
- Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 Wireless Gaming Headset
- Xbox One Chat Headset
- Xbox One Stereo Headset
- Victrix Pro AF Wired Gaming Headset
With these headphones, you won’t have to go through the abovementioned steps. Instead, follow your Xbox instructions for how to connect compatible headphones.
Because of the unique wireless technology that Xbox uses, wireless Bose headphones are not automatically compatible. Similarly, wired Bose headphones are not compatible with older generation controllers. Luckily, there are ways that you can use your Bose headphones with your Xbox.
Even though it may be a bit annoying to get the two devices connected, the effort will be worth it when you can hear your game or listen to your videos with your favorite Bose headphones. We hope that this article has helped you learn how to connect your Bose headphones to your Xbox.