If you’re like most of us, then you know PC VR content is in a league of its own, and to do so, you will need to connect your PC to your Oculus Quest. This brings us to the question does the link cable come with the Oculus Quest 2?
The Oculus Quest 2 does not come with the link cable; however, since the Oculus V17 software update, USB 2.0 cables are now compatible with the Oculus Link, allowing you to use the provided Oculus charger as a link cable. However, the Oculus charging cable is only one meter long. Alternatively, you can use Air Link, which is free & can be used to connect your PC to your headset wirelessly.
Let’s take a look at this in more detail, as well as a few things you may not have known about the Oculus Link. Let’s dive in!
Can I use the Oculus charger For Oculus Link?
Yes, Oculus released a software update (Update v17), which allows users to use any USB 2.0 to USB-C cable to work with the Oculus Link. This includes the provided charging cable.
Although this is great because it means you don’t have to splurge $79 on Oculus’s official link cable, there are some drawbacks. Here are a few:
- The provided charging cable is one meter long, meaning you will be fairly limited in your movement.
- USB 2.0 provides a transfer rate of around 480 Mbps, whereas USB 3.0 cables offer 4,800 Mbps, which is equal to around 5 GB.
What kind of cable do you need for the Oculus link?
Originally the Oculus link required a 3.0 USB to USB-C cable; however, after software the update v17, the oculus now also supports 2.0 USB to USB-C cables, which is similar to most charging cables.
There are a couple of things you will need to keep in mind when selecting a cable for the oculus link the first thing you will need to know is the difference between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. The first thing you’ll notice is that there is no difference in the way your game looks and feels with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. The main difference is that the USB 3.0 has enough power to keep your Oculus Quest charged for longer while playing since it provides up to 900 mA, whereas USB 2.0 cables only provide up to 500 mA. So your headset will discharge a lot faster with the USB 2.0 cable, whereas you will notice a much slower discharge when using the USB 3.0 cable.
The second thing you will need to keep in mind is the length of the cable. The length of the cable will make a substantial difference in your gaming experience; Oculus’s official cable is 16 feet (5 meters) long. Whereas the provided charging cable is only one meter long, however, you can connect it to a USB extender offering more room for your gameplay.
What Comes in The Oculus Quest 2 Box?
- Oculus Quest 2 Headset
- 2 Touch Controllers
- Charging wall adapter
- USB 2.0 1 meter charging cable
- Headset cover
- Glasses Spaser
- user manual
What does an oculus link cable do?
The Oculus link cable allows you to link your PC to your Oculus Quest headset, allowing you to utilize your Pc’s processing power to enjoy PC VR content. This allows you to play more GPU-intensive games relative to what your Oculus Quest headset can handle alone.
Can I Use Oculus Link without cable?
If you rather play your PC VR content wire-free, then you can with Oculus Air Link!
What do you need to get started with Oculus Air Link:
- Oculus Desktop App
- Router with an Ethernet Cable
- Oculus Quest 2 headset
How To Setup Air link:
First things first, you will need to download the Oculus Desktop App from Oculus’s official website.
- turn on your headset and press on the Oculus Menu button on your right touch controller
- Now locate & select the experimental features tab
- Now Toggle on Air Link
- Read Air Link’s requirements and select continue
- Select the Air Link button on the left to initiate pairing.
- Now simply follow the instructions provided on your screen to complete the process.
- Select Confirm on your Oculus desktop app.
- Put your headset back on, and click on Launch to begin.
That’s it! your Oculus Quest should now be able to connect to your PC via Oculus Air Link
What are the minimum requirements for the Oculus link?
Before you dive into PC VR, you will need to ensure that your PC meets Oculus’s requirements for Oculus Link or Link Air. You can do this by taking the Steam Vr performance test. Now it’s time to dive into the realm of PC VR. Thanks for reading, and happy gaming!
- How to Pair Meta Quest 3 Controllers with Your Quest 3 Headset: A Quick Guide
- How to Charge Meta Quest 3: A Guide to Powering Up Your VR Experience
- How to Cast Meta Quest 3 to Samsung TV: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How To Factory Reset Your Meta Quest 3: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How to Power On and Off the Meta Quest 3