The Airpods Max has been the talk of the town lately thanks to its innovative design, high-quality features, and unique functionality. However, how does the Airpods Max fair when it comes to working out?
Working out with the Airpods Max is not recommended since they do not have an IPX rating meaning they are not waterproof nor are they water-resistant. Exposing your Aiprods Max to water or sweat can result in damaging your headphones.
Now let’s take a look at what the Airpods Max can handle and a few of its limitations.
Why You Can’t Workout With The Airpods Max
Apple’s Airpods Max is designed for luxury listening with high-quality features and capabilities such as Spatial Audio offering a cinematic listening experience, Adaptive EQ adjusts the sound to the fit and seal of the ear cushions all with the purpose of delivering the best listening experience to the user. However, one thing the Airpods are not designed for unfortunately is working out.
Apple has confirmed that the Airpods Max has no IPX rating, this means that the Airpods max offers no protection whatsoever against water or sweat.
Exposure to sweat or moisture to any no openings on the AirPods Max while working out can result in internal damage.
Additionally, the AirPods are designed from steel as opposed to plastic like the majority of brands in the market. Although this offers additional protection it also adds weight to the headphones making them slightly heavier than your average headphones.
Last but not least Apple’s warranty may not cover damage from water or sweat from the Airpods Max.
What Airpods Are Best For Working out?
The Airpods Pro is by far the best choice for working out. They have an IPX 4 rating meaning they are sweat & water-resistant. This offers enough protection to workout with them without worrying about your headphones getting damaged due to sweat or moisture. However, you will still need to care for your headphones by wiping them down after each workout before putting them back in the case as the case its self isn’t sweat resistant nor is it water-resistant. Take a look at Apple’s recommendations for caring for the Airpods Pro when working out in them.
Whereas the original Airpods as well as the AirPods Max offer no protection against sweat or water.
What To Do If Your Airpods Max Does Come in Contact With Water or Sweat?
If your AirPods Max does come in contact with any form of liquid, including sweat, then you will need to wipe them down with a dry microfiber cloth. To dry the case, place it upside down with the lid open. Do not use the headphones until they are completely dry.
How To Safely Clean Your Airpods Max?
- Avoid running your Airpods Max underwater
- Use a microfiber lint-free cloth
If your AirPods Max does come in contact with chemicals that can cause damage or stains to your headphones, these include soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, perfumes, detergent, acids or acidic foods, insect repellent, sunscreen, oil, or hair dye:
- Wipe them clean with a cloth slightly dampened with fresh water and dry with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.
- Do not use them until they’re completely dry.
- Avoid liquid coming in contact with any openings on the headphones
- Avoid sharp objects or abrasive materials when cleaning
How to Clean the cushions and headband of your AirPods Max Safely
- mix 1 tsp (5 mL) of liquid laundry detergent into 1 cup (250 mL) of water In a clean container.
- Simply remove both of the cushions from the ear cups
- When cleaning the headband, hold your AirPods Max upside down in order to prevent liquid from dripping into the headband attachment.
- Dip a lint-free cloth into the soapy water solution and gently rub the cloth on the cushions and headband for 1 minute each.
- Next, wipe the cushions and headband with a separate cloth that’s lightly dampened with fresh water.
- Dry the cushions and headband with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth
- Allow your headphones to dry for a day until you reattach the cushions.
Can You Run With The Airpods Max?
No, the lack of protection against sweat combined with its heavier steel material design makes the Airpods Max unsuitable for running. If sweat comes in contact with any opening on your headphones it can result in internal damage to your Airpods Max.
How To Protect Your Airpods Max From Sweat?
Occasionally wipe down your Airpods Pro with a microfiber cloth, particularly in the areas with openings such as a lightning port. This will ensure your headphones aren’t exposed to any moisture which can cause harm to your Airpods Max.
So there you have it, the Airpods Max isn’t a suitable option for working out. If exposed to water or sweat in any opening of the headphones the Airpods Max can get damaged.
Additionally, the headphones are heavier than your average headphone since it’s designed from a steel material as opposed to plastic material this will become noticeable when working out with them. Overall, the Airpods Max is designed for luxury listening as opposed to performance or fitness activities.
- How to Pair Meta Quest 3 Controllers with Your Quest 3 Headset: A Quick Guide
- How to Charge Meta Quest 3: A Guide to Powering Up Your VR Experience
- How to Cast Meta Quest 3 to Samsung TV: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How To Factory Reset Your Meta Quest 3: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How to Power On and Off the Meta Quest 3