Apple TV is one of the popular brands for many smart home nerds to stream their favorite movies. We can imagine how it feels when audio issues arise. Fortunately, there are several ways of fixing your Apple TV remote’s volume control if it’s not working correctly.
The most common reason for your Apple TV remote volume to not be working is because some TVs require you to set the volume control option on your Apple TV remote manually. This can be done by going to Settings, Select Remotes and Devices, on the Home theater control tab, select Volume control, and select “Learn New Device” you will need to use your original TV remote to set up the controls, once complete your Apple TV remote volume control should work.
Let’s start with the basic things you can do right away to solve the sound issue.
- Set the volume control option on your Apple TV remote manually.
- Ensure the remote is closer to Apple TV.
- Program the remote to volume or set it to auto by following these settings: Menu->Settings->Audio & Video->Audio Format->Change Format->New Format, switch it to Stereo.
- Reset the remote by pressing and holding the Menu and Volume buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds.
- Press and hold the Menu button until you see the Apple TV logo appear on your TV screen. Once you see the logo, release both buttons on your remote and select “Setup Sound” from the Setup menu that appears on-screen.
- Select “TV” as your audio output device.
If Your Apple TV remote Volume Control is Still not Functioning Correctly, use the following steps to solve the audio issue.
Step 1: Set the volume control option on your Apple TV remote manually
The Apple TV remote volume control will immediately start working for some TVs; however other TVs will need to manually set the remote to control your volume. Here’s how:
- Go to Settings, Select Remotes, and Devices
- on the Home theater control tab select Volume control, and select “Learn New Device”
- Use your original TV remote to set up the controls
- Your Apple TV remote volume control should work.
Step 2: Check the batteries
The first thing you should do is check if the batteries are correctly installed and working. If they are low on power, replace them with new ones.
The battery level is not shown on the remote. It can be checked by opening Settings on your Apple TV and looking at the battery percentage in the top right corner.
- To start, press Settings on your Apple TV.
- Click on Remotes and Devices. You can also check the battery level there.
If your remote control still doesn’t work, move on to step 2.
Step 3: Clean the sensor window on your Apple TV Remote (The sensor window is located at the top of your remote)
Sometimes dirt or dust can get into this window and interfere with how well your remote communicates with your Apple TV device, which can cause problems with volume control.
Step 4: Un-pair or repair your Apple TV remote.
- Press and hold the left and menu buttons together for 6 seconds to unpair the remote.
- The Apple TV Remote will be unassociated, and the message “The Apple TV Remote has been removed” will appear on the screen.
Step 5: Enable HDMI-CEC
First, ensure that you’ve enabled HDMI-CEC on your Apple TV by using the remote control. HDMI connections and cables can also affect your output volume. Also, ensure that your Apple TV can recognize the connected speakers. Do the following to activate this function.
- Press the “Menu” button on your Apple TV remote on the home screen.
- Select the cog in the upper right-hand corner if you cannot find your main menu. Once you have opened your Settings screen, click on devices and scroll down.
- To change the available audio and video settings, please scroll to the bottom of the menu and press “audio and video.”
- Select the audio output from the new menu on-screen and assign it to your sound system.
Step 6: Look for updates
Apple TV always releases updates to ensure that its software is running smoothly. You must check for these updates to keep your devices working perfectly. Here are things you can do.
- First, press the Home button on the remote of your Apple TV.
- To get started, click on Settings in the menu window; it’s right next to the hamburger icon.
- If you click on Software Update, you can select Update Software.
- Updates to your Apple TV may be available and automatically downloaded and installed when software is running. Ensure you remain patient and don’t disconnect the device while updating.
Frequently Asked Question About Apple TV Remote Not Working
Apple TV remote not working is a common problem. It can happen when the battery is low or the remote is out of range. Here is the most common question about the Apple TV remote not working and the answer.
Why won’t my Apple TV remote work?
– The battery might be low and needs to be charged.
– The remote might be out of range, in which case you’ll need to move it closer to your device. The remote needs to be within 10 meters of the Apple TV to work correctly.
– Your device’s Wi-Fi signal might be weak in some regions of your home, and you’ll need to move it closer to an outlet for better reception.
– Check if the remote has been paired with the Apple TV successfully, and make sure that you’re pointing it in the right direction.
– If everything fails, contact Apple TV support.