Is How the Grinch Stole Christmas on Disney Plus? How to Watch Every Grinch Movie
As the holiday season approaches, many of us love to cozy up and watch our favorite Christmas movies.
One of the most popular and beloved Christmas classics is Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
In this article, we will explore if this iconic film is available on Disney Plus and alternative ways to watch it.
Is The How the Grinch Stole Christmas on Disney Plus?
Unfortunately, none of the versions of The Grinch are currently available on Disney Plus, nor have they ever been on the streaming platform. The various Grinch movies do not belong to the Disney collection, as they are produced by different studios.
Alternatives to Disney Plus for Watching The Grinch
Since The Grinch is not available on Disney Plus, let’s explore some alternative ways to watch this holiday classic.
There are currently three Grinch movies that have been made:
1. The original 1966 animated classic, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
2. The 2000 live-action film, Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas, starring Jim Carrey.
3. The most recent animated film from 2018, The Grinch, starring Benedict Cumberbatch.
There is also a 2022 indie film called The Mean One, which features the Grinch as a horror villain. However, we won’t be discussing it here for obvious reasons.
Where to Watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966)
To watch the original animated Grinch movie, you have several streaming and TV options:
- Streaming Service: Peacock
- Where you can Rent/Buy: Amazon Prime Video, YouTube
- TV Schedule: Friday, December 23 – 5 p.m. PT / 8 p.m. ET on NBC
Where to Watch Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
For the live-action Grinch movie with Jim Carrey, you can stream or rent it from the following sources:
- Streaming Service: HBO Max
- Where you can Rent/Buy: Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, Vudu, Apple TV, Google Play
- TV Schedule: Sunday, December 25 – 12:15 p.m PT / 3:15 p.m. ET on HBO (East); 6:15 p.m. PT / 9:15 p.m. ET on HBO (West)
Where to Watch The Grinch (2018)
To watch the latest animated Grinch movie, you can stream or rent it from these platforms:
- Streaming Service: FXNOW (requires a cable subscription), fuboTV
- Where you can Rent/Buy: Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, Apple TV, Vudu, Google Play
- TV Schedule: Wednesday, December 21 – 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. PT on FX; Saturday, December 24 – 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. PT on FX; Sunday, December 25 – 6 p.m. PT on FX
Which Version is Worth Watching?
With three distinct versions of “The Grinch” to choose from, you might be wondering which one is worth your time. Let’s take a closer look at each adaptation to help you decide:
The Original Animated Version
The original animated version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas is definitely worth watching, especially for younger audiences.
Although it may show its age, the original animated version still provides a delightful 25-minute journey through a classic Dr. Seuss story.
Young children will be particularly captivated by its straightforward plot and evident distinction between good and evil.
The Jim Carrey Version
Jim Carrey’s rendition of “The Grinch” has both fans and critics. Directed by Ron Howard, the live-action adaptation loses some of its charm in the process of adapting to a big-budget production, and stretching a Dr. Seuss story to 105 minutes can be somewhat tiresome.
Nevertheless, Carrey’s comedic prowess shines in this film, and the makeup and set design are truly impressive. Interestingly, this movie was the highest-grossing film of 2000, surpassing other popular releases such as Gladiator, X-Men, and Mission: Impossible II.
The Benedict Cumberbatch’s Version
If you’re looking for a modern animated retelling, the 2018 version of “The Grinch” is a great option. Featuring the voice talents of Benedict Cumberbatch, this adaptation from Illumination Entertainment offers a fresh and visually stunning interpretation of the classic tale.
With its family-friendly humor and updated animation style, this version is perfect for introducing a new generation to the story of the Grinch.