Apple TV has thousands of apps available so that you can pick and choose which streaming services you want to use. It offers a high level of customization and flexibility. With so many different apps available, it can be confusing when browsing through the app store, but let us explain how it works and hopefully clear up any confusion that you have.
The Netflix app is free to download from the Apple TV App Store, but you will need a Netflix subscription to access any content. Apple TV acts as a congregation of various streaming services and content sources, but you still need subscriptions to use most of the services.
Netflix is one of many apps and services available for Apple TV. There are several alternatives to Netflix, some of which are completely free to use. The Apple TV system is somewhat unique so many users are not used to the way it works, but it is ultimately very user-friendly once you learn how to navigate it.
Why Isn’t Netflix Free On Apple TV?
When browsing in the Apple TV App Store, you will see that the Netflix app is indeed free. You can download the app without paying a cent, but this does not mean that it is free to watch Netflix on Apple TV.
In order to watch Netflix on Apple TV, your cellphone, tablet, computer, or anywhere else, you must have an active subscription to Netflix. So while the app is free to download on Apple TV or any other device, you can not access the content without paying.
If you have an active Netflix subscription, then all you need to do is simply download the Netflix app in the App Store and log in with your account. It will be no additional cost to watch Netflix content on your Apple TV if you are an active subscriber.
How Much Does Netflix Cost?
Netflix offers three different subscription plans: Basic, Standard, and Premium. Each plan offers access to different qualities and device limits, but all three plans can access the full library of Netflix content.
- Basic – The Basic Netflix subscription costs $8.99 per month and allows you to watch on one device at a time and only offers standard quality video. If you will be the only one using the account and standard definition video quality is sufficient for you, then this is the cheapest option.
- Standard – Netflix’s Standard subscription package costs $13.99 per month. With this package, you can watch movies and shows on up to two devices at the same time. You will also get better video quality with full high definition video quality. This is a good package for couples or someone who prefers to have HD video quality.
- Premium – The Premium subscription from Netflix costs $17.99 per month. The Premium subscription package allows up to four devices to watch at the same time as well as Ultra High Definition video quality. Families who need up to four screens at once and those who love to have the best video quality available will likely be happy to pay the higher price for the Premium subscription package.
All of these subscriptions will give access to all of the content that Netflix has to offer and will also allow users on mobile devices to download content for offline watching. The device limits, video quality, and the price will be the only differences. Once you have one of the subscriptions, you can watch unlimited Netflix content using your Apple TV.
Are There Free Streaming Options On Apple TV?
All of the large streaming services have an app available for Apple TV, but they mostly require a subscription. If you want to be able to watch tv or movies without adding more monthly payments to your budget, there are a few completely free streaming services. The free services will be ad-supported, but you won’t have to pay anything to watch them.
- Pluto TV – Pluto TV is 100% free to download and watch. Pluto TV has more than 200 live TV channels in English and 45 in Spanish, including some of the larger networks like CNN, MTV, Comedy Central, CBSN, and many more. There are also more than 1,000 movies to choose from.
- Crackle – Crackle has a large selection of movies, TV series, documentaries, and original content available for free. They do not have live TV channels, but there is plenty of content to browse through. Creating a free account will allow you to pick up where you left off on other devices and you will also see fewer ads.
- Vudu – Vudu is a bit of a hybrid when it comes to streaming services. They have about 100,000 movies available to rent or buy, but they also have a selection of around 1,000 movies available to watch completely free. You can use the Apple TV app in conjunction with mobile devices where you can download movies for offline viewing.
- Tubi TV – Tubi TV is similar to Crackle with an offering of a few thousand movies and TV series to pick from. A free account with Tubi TV will allow you to sync your account across all of your devices. Tubi TV features movies from some major studios like Paramount, Lionsgate, MGM, and more.
- Amazon Prime Video – This isn’t a free service, but anyone that has an Amazon Prime subscription will have access to Amazon Prime Video. Since it is included in your Prime subscription, you won’t have to pay anything extra to watch the thousands of TV shows and movies available on Prime Video.
So while it is not free to watch Netflix on your Apple TV, or anywhere else, the prices are reasonable and there are several free options if you are looking for a low-cost or free streaming service. Apple TV is a great way to have all of your streaming services in one place; browse through the app store and see what other gems you might find.