If you own a Nintendo Switch and a Chromebook and would like to connect the two to either display your Switch’s display onto your Chromebook’s screen or to share clips and screenshots of your gameplay, then we got you covered. Let’s get straight into it!
How to Connect a Nintendo Switch to a Chromebook
- Start by inserting your Nintendo Switch into the Dock.
- Plug in the HDMI cable into your Nintendo Switch’s HDMI port and the other end into the Video Capture Card’s HDMI port.
- You’ll then need to download and install the OBS app in order to mirror your Gameplay to your screen.
- Plug in the Capture card into your Chromebook.
- Open OBS, and select the + icon under Sources.
- You’ll first want to select Audio Input Capture (to set up the audio), name it whatever you’d like, and press Ok.
- Now on Device select your USB capture card and tap OK.
- Now under Audio Mixer Tab, select the Gear icon and then select Advanced Audio Properties. And select Monitor and Output, then close the tab.
- Back in the main menu, press on the + icon once again (under Sources), select Video Capture Device, and name it.
- On Device, select USB Video.
- Now set up your preferred resolution and fps ( 1920×1080 resolution and 60 FPS are recommended for optimal quality.)
- Turn on your Nintendo Switch. A preview should display on the left screen (on OBS). Right-click the right screen labeled Program, select Full-Screen Projector, and select your Chromebook.
- And that’s all! You should now be all good to go.
Is A Video Capture Card Necessary?
Unfortunately, the answer is yes. To display your Switch’s screen onto your Chromebook, you will need a Video Capture Card. This is because a capture card is able to convert your Switch’s video signal into one that is recognized by your Chromebook, thus allowing it to appear on your device’s screen.
Additionally, as mentioned above, you’ll also need to install a streaming software (Such as OBS) to be able to mirror your Switch’s screen onto your Chromebook.
One thing we should note is that Video Capture cards vary in terms of the quality in which they output. So it would be a good idea to check the reviews and description of the quality of the product before purchasing.
How to Share Your Switch’s Photos and Videos to Your Chromebook
While the Switch released an update (Update 11.0.0) that allows you to connect your PC to your Switch in order to share videos & screenshots, this isn’t compatible with Chromebooks. However, there are a few alternative methods. The first involves using an SD card.
Some Chromebooks are equipped with an SD card reader. You can also purchase an SD card reader adapter if you don’t have one equipped on your laptop. A window will pop up on your screen displaying your SD card files, click on it, and from here, you’ll be able to drag and drop the picture of video files you’d like to save to your Chromebook.
The second option involves transferring the images/clips to your phone, then sending them from your phone to your Chrome book. Here’s how:
- On the Nintendo Switch Home Menu, select Album, then Screenshot or Video Capture.
- Now tap on Sharing & Editing, and select Send to Smartphone.
- Select whether your want to send “Only This One” or “Send a Batch”.
- Now scan the QR code with your Phone.
- Once you’ve scanned and verified your phone, the clips/screenshots will be sent to your Phone.