Virtual Reality has become incredibly popular with modern gamers whether they prefer to game on PC or an array of consoles. Gaming consoles themselves have become more complex to include various features from streaming TV programs to surfing the internet that goes beyond gaming. However, not all consoles are compatible with all VR devices.
Unfortunately, like Oculus with other PlayStation models, it does not have official compatibility with a PS5. PlayStation has its own PSVR devices that encourage users to use their consoles instead. However, you can link your PS5 to your PC, then connect your PC with your Oculus Quest as a kind of workaround.
Keep reading to learn the compatibility issues between an Oculus Quest and a PS5, how you can work around these issues by connecting your PS5 to a PC, and solutions to some of the problems you might encounter during the setup process.
Can You Connect an Oculus Quest to a PS5?
There is no official way to connect your Oculus Quest directly to your PS5. As a result, any other workaround you might try, as outlined later in this article, will have its limitations and issues. However, if you want a VR experience that is more integrated with your PlayStation, you can try the PSVR, which is PlayStation’s VR device.
How to Workaround the Compatibility Problem
If you already have an Oculus Quest and you don’t want to invest in a PSVR device to enjoy VR on your PS5, then there is a way for you to work around the compatibility issue. By downloading the Remote Play for PS5 onto your PC, you can connect your PS5 to the PC and then use your Oculus as you would with a PC game.
How to Connect a PS5 to a PC
Before you can get into connecting your PS5 to your PC, there are a few things you need to do to set up your PS5 to link:
- Turn on your PS5, so you are on the Home screen.
- Navigate to the Settings menu and open the “System” settings.
- In the new menu, you should set the “Remote Play” option, which you can select, and then turn on “Enable Remote Play.”
- If you want to start Remote Play while the PS5 is in rest mode, then:
- Navigate to Settings and select the “System” option.
- Click on “Power Saving” then “Features Available in Rest Mode.”
- Enable “Stay Connected to the Internet” and “Enable Turning on PS5 from Network.”
All your settings should be correct for linking your PS5 to your PC.
To connect your PS5 to your PC:
- Download the Remote Play application and ensure that it is for PS5 and current updates.
- Open the application, then plug your PS5 controller into your PC.
- A dialogue box will appear asking you to sign in. Enter your information and sign in with the same login as your PS5.
- Remote Play will take a few moments to find your PS5 and establish a link. You will know when the connection is complete when you see your PS5 homes screen on your computer screen.
You may find that the resolution of your PS5 on your PC is lower than it should be. You will lose some quality during this process, but you can change the resolution to some extent in the settings for Remote Play.
How to Connect a PC to an Oculus Quest
Oculus Quest is for PC use so connecting the two devices is more manageable. Before starting this process, it’s essential to ensure that your update your PC and the Oculus software if it needs it.
To connect your PC to your Oculus Quest:
- Open the Oculus application on your PC.
- Turn on your Oculus Quest.
- Plug in your Oculus to your PC using a USB 3 cable.
- A dialogue box will open asking you to “Allow access to data.” Click “Deny.” If you accidentally click “Allow” instead, you will need to unplug your Oculus and plug it back in again.
- Another dialogue box will open, asking you to “Enable Oculus Link.” Select “Enable” to establish the link between the devices.
You should now see your PC screen with the Remote Play application on your Oculus Quest. Remember that there could be some buffering or lag occasionally since multiple devices are linking together.
Why Won’t Your Oculus Quest Connecto to a PC?
If you can’t get your Oculus to connect with your PC, here are a couple of solutions for you to try.
- Cannot “Add Quest” to PC. If you can’t see your Quest as a device to add to the application on your PC, then try logging out of the PC software and login back in.
- Cannot “Enable Link” on PC software. If you don’t see the dialogue box prompting you to enable the link, try logging out of the PC software and logging back in again.
- Cannot “Enable Link” on Oculus software. If you don’t see the option to “Enable Link” in the Oculus’ settings, turn off the headset and turn it back on again.
If you try the above things or have an issue that isn’t listed, check out the Oculus support page on their website, which gives other solutions and contact information to get in touch with their support team if you have a specific issue or complain.
While there isn’t a straightforward way of connecting your Oculus Quest to your PS5, such as plugging it in and waiting for the connection, Sony has its VR system if wants you to use it. However, there are other ways of getting it around the incompatibility of the two devices.
Since the Oculus is for PC use and the PS5 has an application that links it to whatever PC you want, you can connect the device through your PC to get the Oculus experience. However, this method will always have limitations, so if you want the whole experience of using VR with your PS5, you would be better off getting a PSVR device.
- How to Pair Meta Quest 3 Controllers with Your Quest 3 Headset: A Quick Guide
- How to Charge Meta Quest 3: A Guide to Powering Up Your VR Experience
- How to Cast Meta Quest 3 to Samsung TV: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How To Factory Reset Your Meta Quest 3: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How to Power On and Off the Meta Quest 3