The Nintendo Switch has become a popular gaming console due to its versatile design and extensive library of games.
However, some players may prefer using a different controller, such as the PlayStation 3 (PS3) controller, for a more familiar or comfortable gaming experience. In this article, we will explore the steps needed to connect and use a PS3 controller with the Nintendo Switch.
Requirements for Connecting a PS3 Controller to Nintendo Switch
To connect a PS3 controller to the Nintendo Switch, you will need a compatible adapter, such as the 8BitDo Wireless USB Adapter. This adapter allows you to connect various controllers, including the PS3 controller, to the Switch wirelessly.
Steps to Connect a PS3 Controller to Nintendo Switch:
- Update the 8BitDo Wireless USB Adapter Firmware: Before connecting your PS3 controller to your Switch, ensure the 8BitDo Wireless USB Adapter firmware is up to date. Visit the 8BitDo support website and follow the instructions provided for updating the adapter’s firmware.
- Next, Visit https://support.8bitdo.com/receiver-usb-adapter-tools-for-ps3.html to download and execute the PS3 pairing tool.
- Ensure that “Pro Controller Wired Communication” is enabled on the Nintendo Switch, navigate to System Settings, followed by Controllers and Sensors, and ensure it is set to ON.
- Connect the adapter to your computer and link your DualShock 3 to your PC using a USB cable.
- With both the adapter and DualShock 3 connected to your PC, click the “Pair” button in the software.
- After the pairing process is complete, insert the adapter into your Switch Dock (no need to press the pair button).
- Detach the DualShock 3 from your PC and press the PS button to establish a connection.
- Once paired, the controller will automatically reconnect by pressing the PS button.
Test the PS3 Controller on the Switch: Once the PS3 controller is paired with the 8BitDo Wireless USB Adapter, you can now use it to navigate the Nintendo Switch menus and play compatible games. Note that some games may not support the PS3 controller or may have limited functionality.
Disconnecting and Reconnecting the PS3 Controller
To disconnect the PS3 controller from the Switch, press and hold the PS button on the controller for approximately 3 seconds. To reconnect the controller, press the PS button once again, and it should automatically reconnect with the 8BitDo Wireless USB Adapter.
PS3 Controller Button Mapping On Nintendo Switch
Using a PS3 controller on a Nintendo Switch is a simple process, requiring only a compatible adapter like the 8BitDo Wireless USB Adapter. By following the steps outlined above, you can enjoy a familiar and comfortable gaming experience on your Switch. Keep in mind that some games may not fully support the PS3 controller or may have limited functionality, but overall, this setup offers a great alternative for those who prefer the feel of the PlayStation controller.