Quick resume feature has been a buzzword in the gaming community lately, with the Xbox Series X/S having it as one of their selling points.
However, gamers are left wondering whether or not the PS5 has this feature. In this article, we will dive deep into the PS5’s capabilities and find out if it has the quick resume feature.
Quick Resume Feature: What Is It?
The quick resume feature is a popular feature on the Xbox Series X/S that allows gamers to switch between games seamlessly.
With this feature, gamers can pause a game and switch to another game, and when they switch back, the first game will pick up where they left off. This feature is particularly useful for gamers who like to play multiple games at once.
Why PS5 Does Not Have Quick Resume Feature
The PlayStation 5 lacks the Quick Resume feature, leaving many gamers puzzled as to why Sony chose not to include it. One reason for this decision is that the PS5’s architecture differs from the Xbox Series X/S, making Quick Resume implementation more challenging. Instead, Sony focused on enhancing other features, such as ultra-fast loading times and immersive 3D audio.
Although the PS5 does not possess the Quick Resume feature, it offers an alternative called the Switcher. The Switcher is a feature that enables gamers to switch between games rapidly. To access the Switcher, players press the PS button on their controller, bringing up the Switcher menu displaying their recently played games. They can then select the game they want to resume and jump right back into it.
While the PS5’s Switcher feature is not as advanced as the Quick Resume feature on the Xbox Series X/S, it still provides an efficient way to transition between games. Gamers should note that not all games are compatible with the Switcher feature, and some games may require a full restart.
PS5 Quick Resume: Limitations
The PS5’s switcher feature is not without limitations. Firstly, it does not allow gamers to pick up where they left off in the game. Instead, they will have to start from the last checkpoint. Secondly, not all games are compatible with the switcher feature. Some games require a full restart, while others will not show up in the switcher menu.
How to Use PS5’s Switcher
Using the PS5’s switcher feature is easy. Gamers can press the PS button on their controller, and the switcher menu will appear. They can then select the game they want to play and jump right back into it. However, if the game is not compatible with the switcher feature, they will have to restart the game.
PS5 Quick Resume: Game Compatibility
Not all games are compatible with the PS5’s switcher feature. Some games require a full restart, while others will not show up in the switcher menu. Gamers can check the game’s compatibility on the game’s store page or by checking the game’s manual.
PS5 Quick Resume: Pros and Cons
The PS5’s switcher feature has its pros and cons. Its pros include the ability to switch between games quickly and efficiently, and its cons include the inability to pick up where gamers left off in the game and the limited compatibility with certain games.
Pros of the Switcher
- Can be used for both games and media apps.
- Available on the PS5 console.
- Allows for quick switching between open applications.
Cons of the Switcher
- Not as seamless as Quick Resume.
- Does not save game states to SSD, resulting in slightly longer load times.
- Supports fewer simultaneous saved states compared to Quick Resume.
Possible Future Improvements for PS5
Sony could potentially improve the Switcher feature on the PS5 through updates and user feedback. Here are some ways the PS5 might improve the functionality of the Switcher:
Sony can release firmware updates to enhance the Switcher feature, making it more seamless and efficient. This could involve optimizing the use of SSD storage to save game states, similar to the Xbox Series X/S Quick Resume.
User Feedback and Adjustments
Listening to user feedback, Sony may make adjustments to the Switcher to better accommodate gamers’ needs. This could involve increasing the number of simultaneous saved states or further streamlining the process of switching between games and apps.
- Does the PS5 have Quick Resume? No, the PS5 does not have Quick Resume. Instead, it has a similar feature called the Switcher.
- What is the difference between Quick Resume and the Switcher? The main differences are that Quick Resume is exclusive to games and saves game states to the console’s SSD, while the Switcher can be used for both games and media apps and does not save game states to the SSD.
- Can the PS5’s Switcher be improved in the future? Yes, there is potential for Sony to improve the Switcher through firmware updates and user feedback.
- How many simultaneous saved states does the PS5’s Switcher support? The exact number of simultaneous saved states supported by the Switcher is not specified, but it is generally fewer than the Xbox Series X/S Quick Resume feature.
- How do I use the Switcher on my PS5? To use the Switcher, press the PlayStation button on the PS5 controller to bring up the Control Center, and then select the desired open application to switch to it.