AirPods have taken the world by storm, with millions of units sold around the globe. However, you may be wondering just how versatile these tiny earphones are.
Can you use AirPods without a phone? Let’s find out.
AirPods can be used without a phone. If you’re going to be streaming songs on the go, you will need a cellular version of the Apple watch 3 or later model; this will allow you to stream music without the need of a phone. Alternatively, you can listen to music without the need for a cellular Apple watch by downloading your music onto your Apple watch via Spotify or Apple music.
That’s the short answer. However, there’s plenty more meat to this question – so make sure you stick around.
Let’s get into this topic further.
How to Listen to Music on Your AirPods Without a Phone
You’re most likely going to be using Spotify or Apple Music with your AirPods as these are, by far, the world’s most popular music streaming services. They each have billions of users along with massive song libraries spanning decades.
To utilize the apps without a phone, you need to be using an Apple Watch 3 or any later model. This is because only these models have a cellular data option allowing you to access your music library. If you try to use an earlier model, then you won’t have much luck.
Here’s what you need to do to use your Apple Watch in conjunction with your AirPods:
- Make sure your Apple Watch is synced to your AirPods – you’ll need to use your phone or tablet initially to do so.
- Click on the Settings button on your Apple Watch.
- Launch Bluetooth from the options displayed on the drop-down menu
- Connect your watch with your earphones (this may take a few minutes so be sure to remain patient)
- If you’re an Apple Music user, then you’ll instantly receive access to your musical library along with any podcasts you may have previously downloaded.
It’s really as simple as that. It doesn’t take any technical wizardry or in-depth knowledge of audio equipment whatsoever.
However, if you wish to play a song by an artist that’s not in your existing library, then you’ll have to use Siri to find the song or podcast you want.
It’s not difficult to use AirPods without a phone once you’ve got your head around the set-up. Once you’ve figured it out, you can enjoy all the bells and whistles you can while using them on your main phone or tablet.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s get into some frequently asked questions on this subject to clear up any concerns or remaining questions you may have on this subject.
Can I Use One AirPod Without a Phone?
Yes, it’s possible to use only one earphone at a time with or without a phone. All you need to do is return the spare AirPod (the one you’re not using) back in its case before departing.
Using one earphone is great if you need to keep an ear out for road traffic or if you wish to engage in a conversation with someone. Plus, you get to charge your spare earphone if it’s low on battery.
It’s possible to use one AirPod without a phone – just make sure you don’t lose your spare one, as this is a common problem with AirPod users.
How Far Can You Go With AirPods Without Your Phone?
Apple states that the optimal operating distance for AirPods from a phone or paired device reaches up to around 18 meters (or 60 feet). This means that you can use your Airpods up to 60 feet away from your home device.
Can I Use AirPods with Android?
You can use Airpods with an Android phone, yes.
How? It’s very simple.
Since AirPods use Bluetooth, they can be synced to any phone or tablet with a Bluetooth feature – which is virtually all of them these days.
You do, however, miss out on some key features if you choose to pair your AirPods with a non-Apple device.
Here’s a list of them:
- Siri – you won’t be able to use it with an Android phone or any other brand
- Battery indicator – you won’t be able to tell how much, or how little, charge your AirPods have
- Single ear listening – only iOS devices have the technology that makes single-ear listening possible
- Double-tap feature – again, this feature is limited to iOS technology only.
It’s possible to use AirPods with an Android phone, but you must accept the fact you’ll miss out on some key features.
Final Thoughts and Conclusion
You can most certainly use AirPods without a phone; however, your options are extremely limited. Only an Apple Watch model 3 or later will be compatible.
You can also use AirPods without an Apple phone, but you must be prepared to miss out on some of their key features.
- How to Pair Meta Quest 3 Controllers with Your Quest 3 Headset: A Quick Guide
- How to Charge Meta Quest 3: A Guide to Powering Up Your VR Experience
- How to Cast Meta Quest 3 to Samsung TV: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How To Factory Reset Your Meta Quest 3: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How to Power On and Off the Meta Quest 3