The remote is one of the 20th century’s best innovations. That said, our overreliance on the remote means losing or damaging it can be quite inconvenient. To many people, losing their LG TV remote can be unsettling — forcing them to incur extra cost and time to repair or purchase a new remote. Well, it doesn’t always have to be that way.
So how do you go about changing the LG input without a remote? Whether you’re using a smart LG TV or an older model, there are 3-4 different ways you can control your TV without needing the remote. You can manually use the power button or a mouse. You can also download and use the ThinQ app or other third-party apps like Amazon Firestick or XBOX gaming console.
In this guide, we will explore each of these options in greater detail and show you how you can use them to change your LG TV input without a remote. Read further to learn more.
How to Manually Change the Input on LG TVs
The first step to take back control of your LG TV is by using the power button located at the bottom of your TV. This method is useful for both smart and non-smart LG TVs.
You can do this by following the steps below:
- Power on your LG TV
- Look for the power button at the bottom section of your TV set
- Gently pull the button towards you to display the menu options on your screen
- Scroll through the menu options by quickly tilting the button to the left or right
- Release the button as soon as you’ve arrived at the menu option of your choice
When using the power button to change LG TV’s input, remember to gently pull the button towards yourself and not pressing on it as this will turn off the TV set instead of bringing up the menus. This method will allow you to access the input choices and give you access to all your LG TV settings.
How to Use a Mouse to Control Your LG TV
Another manual choice for changing the LG TV input is the mouse. A wireless mouse can be a perfect option since it allows you to move up and about without having to stand in front of your TV to control it. A wired mouse can also work just fine. Even better, it does not need a battery to function, unlike the wireless mouse.
Here are the steps on how to change the input on your LG TV using a mouse:
- Connect the mouse to the TV by inserting the mouse cable or sensor (for wireless mouse) into the port at the back or the side of your TV set
- Turn on the TV by pressing the power button
- Use the Channel Up or Channel Down button to select INPUTS
- Wait for a prompt that will appear at the right-hand side of your screen
- Use the mouse to select the Input you want your TV set to be in
Using the mouse is quite straightforward. It is a resourceful method that will let you change the input and switch between channels. You can also easily navigate to the Wi-Fi connectivity option if you’re using a smart TV.
How to Change the Input on LG TVs with LG ThinQ App
Perhaps the most convenient way of controlling your LG TV without the remote is by using the LG ThinQ app. The ThinQ app works as an online remote control for your TV. However, it only works for smart LG TVs only.
This free online tool can be downloaded and installed on Android and iOS devices. Visit the Google Playstore or App Store to download the latest ThinQ app for Android and iOS devices, respectively.
Once downloaded and installed, you can use the steps below to connect the app and use it to control your LG TV.
- Power on your LG TV
- Connect your LG smart TV and smartphone (where the app is installed) to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Launch the ThinQ app
- Press on the + icon at the top of the app’s home screen to add a device.
- Follow the prompts by answering any questions that pop up on your screen and press OK
- Go to the home appliance section of the app and select your LG TV as the LG appliance you wish to control using the app.
- Wait for the app to detect and initiate a connection with your TV.
- Once the connection is initiated, a verification code will pop up on your TV screen. Enter this exact code into your app as prompted.
- Complete this process by tapping on Move to Home.
You can start using the app to access your LG TV’s settings and change the input just like you would use your remote. All you need to do is open the app, tap on the house icon and make your changes.
Using Third-Party Apps to Control Your LG TV
Besides the methods mentioned above, you can also use the Amazon Firestick or XBOX gaming console to change the input of your LG TV as a last resort.
Using Amazon Fire TV Remote
The Amazon Fire TV remote is a popular alternative for changing LG TV’s input without LG’s remote.
Follow these steps:
- Insert and connect the Amazon Firestick into the LG TV
- The Amazon Firestick will override your LG TV controls and allow you to use the Amazon Firestick TV remote to change LG TV’s input.
Using XBOX One Gaming Console
If you bought an XBOX One, it is now time to call on some favors by using the console to change the input on your LG TV set.
The steps below will enable you to control your LG TV using XBOX One console.
- Turn on your LG TV
- Connect your XBOX One to your TV set
- Go to settings and then choose TV and select OneGuide Menu
- Now select the Device Control option
- From the list of devices and programs displayed, select LG
- Click on the Automatic>Send Command option
- A confirmation to see if the console is now controlling the TV will be given; this can be anything such as muting the TV set.
- Go to the power settings by pressing B on your console
- Pick the option “Xbox One Turns ON and Turns OFF my devices”
With that last step, you now have an alternative way of changing the input on your LG TV using the Xbox One console.
A lost or damaged remote control should not be the reason for you to miss out on your TV’s entertainment. With the methods outlined above, taking back control of your LG TV is as simple as downloading an app, connecting a mouse or just by a gentle pull of a power button.