Being one of the most popular wireless earbuds on the market the Airpods are known for their range of high-performance features.
However, one feature that most users are curious about is the microphone, does Airpods have a microphone?
Airpods feature two built-in microphones located on the top & bottom of both Airpod. Allowing you to make hands-free calls, communicate to your voice assistant quickly & easily, as well as be used for online conference calls or meetings.
Let’s take a look at what the Airpods mic has to offer, how they can be used, the sound quality, as well as whether or not it would benefit you depending on your needs. Let’s dive in!
How Airpods Microphones Work
Apple’s Airpods are equipped with two microphones on each Airpod, located on the top & bottom of both Airpods.
The Airpods mic work by utilizing a speech detecting accelerometer that recognizes speech, this works with the second microphone which are beam-forming microphones equipped & designed simply to block out any external noise allowing the mic to only pick up your voice.
Are Airpods Mic Good?
Airpods microphones are good they are mainly designed for hands-free calling, as well as allowing you to quickly communicate with your voice assistant without having to pull out your phone in order to ask a question or make a request.
The Airpods mic is similar to or slightly better than most built-in microphones found on laptops they are also usable for conference calls & online meetings in apps such as zoom, skype, what’s app..etc.
Here is a quick demonstration & comparison of both the Airpods & Airpods Pro Microphone sound quality.
Do AirPods Have Noise Cancellation?
Active noise cancelation is only currently available on the Airpods Pro. It works by utilizing an additional microphone to listen to any external sounds, which will then be countered before the sound reaches your ear. the inward-facing microphone listens inside your ear for any external noise which also gets canceled out with Airpod Pro’s anti-noise feature.
Active noise cancelation is beneficial in two distinct ways, the first is by canceling noise around you allowing you to listen to content without experiencing external noise from your environment to affect your listening experience. The second is by canceling outside noise for your microphone eliminating background noise to appear when you speak, allowing the person on the other side of the call to only hear your voice by minimizing external background noise.
How Far Do Airpods Reach?
Airpods can reach up to 40 meters before cutting off; however, this is also dependant on the version of Bluetooth equipped on the device your Airpods are connected to. older versions of Bluetooth will reduce the range in which your AirPods will work.
Your environment will also impact how far your Airpods can reach, this includes interference, walls..etc.
Expect to get a 40-50 meter distance from your device if you are using Bluetooth version 5 & around a 30-meter distance or less if you using a Bluetooth 4 device.
How To Clean Airpods Mic
Airpods get dirty quite fast and will require daily cleaning. Apple recommends that you clean your microphone with a dry cotton swab. Avoid using any water or liquids in the opening of the Airpods.
Cleaning your Airpods case is as important as cleaning the Airpods themselves. Apple recommends that you use a soft, dry, lint-free cloth when cleaning your Airpods as well as the case.
Key Features Of Airpods:
Airpods are known for their ultra-fast connection time stable connection, thanks to Apple’s H1 headphone chip which is known to be 2x faster when switching between active devices, it also allows for 1.5x faster connection time for phone calls.
The Airpods battery life lasts around 5 hours if used for listening & around 3 hours if used for talking. However, the best part of the Airpods is that it can be charged quickly & easily on the go. Since the charging case is so small you are able to take it around and charge it when needed. Just 15 minutes of charge will get you around 3 hours of listening time & around 2 hours of talking time.
Shortcut your Tasks
Thanks to the Air-pods hands-free features you are able to do tasks much quicker without even needing to pull out your phone. This includes hands-free calls, talking to your voice assistant, changing your music & much more.
Pros & Cons of Airpods:
- High-quality sound thanks to Apple’s H1 Chip
- Hands-free features
- Can be found if lost with “Find my Phone”
- Sweat-resistant (Airpods Pro)
- Quick charge
- Long-lasting battery
- Your music will immediately be paused if your AirPods fall out thanks to optical sensors
- Extremely easy to connect to Apple devices
- Easy to lose since they are quite small (However, they can be found with the “find my iPhone” feature)
What’s the difference between AirPods and AirPods Pro?
The Airpods Pro offer a few premium features that can’t be found on the original Airpods such as:
- Active Noise Cancellation: Allows your AirPods to block out external noise while listening, as well as when talking to the microphone providing a clearer sounding mic.
- Sweat-resistant: The sweat-resistant feature allows you to workout with your Airpods Pro without fear of it getting damaged
- Customization: the AirPods pro comes with different ear tips allowing you to find the perfect fit for you.
- Pressure valve: The AirPod Pro uses a very small pressure valve reducing the pressure from the sound inside your ear, this reduces discomfort most users encounter from high-pressure headphones
- Aesthetics: the Airpod pro comes slightly shorter than the AirPods & provides a more comfortable fit.
So there you have it, Airpods are equipped with microphones allowing for a hands-free way to pick up calls, communicate with your voice assistant, as well as be used for online meetings & conferences.
- How to Pair Meta Quest 3 Controllers with Your Quest 3 Headset: A Quick Guide
- How to Charge Meta Quest 3: A Guide to Powering Up Your VR Experience
- How to Cast Meta Quest 3 to Samsung TV: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How To Factory Reset Your Meta Quest 3: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How to Power On and Off the Meta Quest 3