Setting up a security camera for the home might seem like a difficult, complicated, and intimidating process at first. In fact, it sometimes can be. However, this isn’t always the case. The Blink home security camera is one such camera this is actually quite easy to set up, is mostly wire-free, and gets the job done just as well as more complicated and cumbersome designs.
In order to set up the Blink security camera, you’ll need to do the following things after your purchase. You’ll need to register for an account with Blink, add a sync module and create a system, and then add your cameras! These relatively simple steps will be discussed in more detail below.
This is a pretty simple process, but you’ll want to make sure you get it right the first time to avoid any future troubleshooting or difficulties. So read on to find out everything you need to know about how to set up a Blink outdoor camera!
Step 1: Installing the Blink app and creating an account
The first thing you’re going to need in order to properly set up and use your Blink outdoor security camera is the Blink app, as well as an account you can sign into the app with.
This is a pretty simple process. Simply do the following.
- Download the Blink app onto your mobile device. Once this is done, launch the app. At the bottom of the screen, you should see a prompt to create an account. Tap it.
- Select the country you live in from the drop-down menu Blink provides. Tap next and do the same with your region. A region will be selected for you based on your IP address, all you have to do is confirm.
- After you confirm your country and region, provide Blink with a valid email address.
- After giving an email address, create a safe password. Use a strong password, and use a different password than your other passwords. This is extra important for security reasons.
- Tap create your account.
- After creating your account, you’re going to need to verify it. A verification code will be sent to the email you provided. Simply type the code in on the app once you get it. You don’t have to rush, the PIN will be valid for 40 minutes. If it expires, you can simply request a new one.
- After verifying your account, provide Blink with your phone number.
- This will prompt another verification. Do the same thing you did with your email with the code that is texted to your phone.
- Link your Blink account with an Amazon account. This needs to be done if you want to manage your subscriptions after your free trial ends.
- After linking your Amazon account (you can create one or use an existing one) you’re done with the first step of the process! You’re ready to move onto the next step.
Setting up the Sync Module
The next thing you’re going to have to do is set up what’s called the sync module. The sync module is the only part of the whole security system that has any wires that need plugging in. It connects all the different parts of the system and is necessary for the security system to function.
- First, open the Blink app. On the home page, in the top right-hand corner, there is a blue “+.” Tap this to add a new device.
- The add device screen will provide you a number of options. Select the one that says “Blink Wireless Camera System.” Underneath, it should mention a sync module.
- From here, you’ll need to enter the serial code of your device. If you want to avoid a lot of meticulous typing and staring at tiny numbers, you can scan the QR code that came with your device, if you give the Blink app access to your camera.
- To create a new system, tap the box for text entry and give your system a name.
- You will now be instructed to plug your sync module in. Wait for your module to display a blinking blue light and a solid green light. That’s how you know it’s ready to be discovered.
- Your Blink app will ask to join a WiFi network called BLINK followed by some numbers from your sync module’s serial number.
- After you accept this, the app will request to join your local WiFi network. Allow it access, as the security system needs internet access to work.
- From here, it’s just like connecting any other device to your network. Type in your password and allow it access to the network.
- You will be notified that your sync module is functioning by the app once you connect it to the WiFi network!
- After this, you are ready for the next and final step: adding cameras.
Step 3: Adding cameras to your security network.
After setting up your sync module, you get to actually set up the cameras that you’ve been waiting for! This part is pretty easy, as the wireless design of Blink cameras makes setting up new devices a breeze. Follow the steps below:
- Go back to the app’s home screen. Again, you’ll need to tap the blue “plus” in the top right-hand corner of the screen to add a new device.
- This time, select the option that says Blink wireless camera.
- Again, you’ll need to enter the serial number. The QR code is also available and is a much easier option. You can see where QR codes are on the devices in the app.
- Once your camera’s serial number is entered, you will be taken to what is called the “camera onboarding screen.”
- The camera onboarding screen will give you guidance on how to position your camera to avoid certain obstacles, such as the sun and trees. Try to listen to this advice, as it can interfere with the motion sensor in your camera. Obviously, this isn’t always completely possible, but do your best!
- Once your setup is complete you will be notified of success. Click done!
- If you are unable to connect to the sync module even though all of the devices are connected to the internet, contact Blink support.
After this, you’re pretty much good to go! Your camera is set up and connected to the internet, so you should have access to things like live feeds, recorded clips, and other great Blink features.
So, just to recap very quickly, there are three major steps to the process of setting up a blink outdoor home security camera. First, you’ll need to download the Blink app and register an account with Blink. Ideally, this account is linked with Amazon.
Second, you’ll need to set up the sync module for your Blink home security system. You can think of this as the system’s “brain.” It is a necessary hub for all of your cameras to connect to.
Lastly, you can start setting up cameras. If you only got one, this process will be very quick. However, multiple cameras will take a little bit longer (although they do provide more security). You can repeat the camera set up process as many times as you want without repeating the other two steps, just in case you decide to get more cameras later.