Technology is constantly evolving and this has changed the way we do most things. Amazon Alexa is one of the most popular virtual assistants AI that responds to queries. The cloud-based service normally takes in voice instructions and offers users the appropriate response.
With Amazon Alexa voice, you can prompt a wide range of activities. This includes checking security devices within your home, weather patterns, news updates, traffic information, setting reminders, and control other devices. Generally, Alexa makes it possible to control or manage nearly everything by just using your voice.
While this voice-service platform is great, there are still a lot of things that people need to know when using Alexa voice. For instance, how to change amazon Alexa voice language or accent, programming it to a certain, routine, and deleting voice recordings, etc.
What Languages and Dialects Does Amazon Alexa Support?
Amazon Alexa supports a total of seven languages. They include:
Alexa supports three types of language dialects i.e. English, Spanish, and French.
English dialects: there are five accents that Alexa support in English and they are US, UK, Australia, India, and Canada.
Spanish dialects: they are three and feature the US, Mexico, and Spain.
French dialects: they are two accents and they include France and Canada.
How to Change Amazon Alexa Voice to another Language/Accent.
The assistant normally has a nice female voice. However, listening to the same voice over and over again can get boring. The best thing about Alexa is that it’s versatile. This means that you can change the voice so that it can reflect other accents. To change the language here is how to go about it:
- Once you have launched the app click on the icon labeled Devices.
- Click on the device whose accent you are interested in changing. You can do this by selecting the group that the device is in, all devices, or by selecting the Echo & Alexa option.
Note: Ensure that the device is online for it to effectively work.
- Thereafter, choose the language category.
- Scroll down through the list of languages and the countries that they’re associated with. Select the language you want.
Note: in case you are opting to choose a language from another country, there will be pop-up notification indicating that some functionalities will stop working. Simply choose “OK.”
- Lastly, you will see another pop-up indicating that the language switch-up will take a couple of minutes. Click “Ok”.
Note: when changing the language or accent, you need to first speak with that specific accent. Failure to do so means that Alexa will find it hard to understand your voice and it will, therefore, not be able to respond appropriately.
Amazon is constantly changing the way Alexa voice operates. One of the main priorities of developers is to ensure that the voice sounds as natural and human as possible. With the use of the Speech Synthesis Markup Language, you can now find important skills such as whispers.
While it’s important to know how to change amazon Alexa’s voice, you can also change the pitch and speed of how Alexa talks. For those who are interested in having a male Alexa voice, lowering the pitch can help you to attain a similar effect.
To counter a response monotony, you can add pauses as well as other audio snippets. Alexa also helps to cater to the needs of people with delicate sensibilities. Alexa voice comes with an option to substitute words, spelling out words, and in some instances, it can bleep as in the case of expletive words.
Can You Change Google Alexa Voice to another Gender?
While the female voice is good, there have been calls to at least have a voice option that reflects other genders or for Alexa to have a neutral voice. However, that option is still not yet available. But if you are interested in having a male voice, then you can use the first celebrity’s voice with your Amazon Alexa. For only one dollar, Samuel L. Jackson can be your Alexa’s voice assistant.
Amazon used a Neutral Text to Speech technology to effectively teach Alexa to sound like Samuel regardless of the command issued. It should be noted that Samuel had also recorded several comments and jokes in addition to some personal information that users can hear.
Samuel has a family-friendly voice. Besides that, he also has a great adult voice. So, this means that his voice skills come in two versions i.e. the non-explicit and explicit versions. Although Samuel is the first celebrity to have his voice integrated with Alexa, there is still more to come.
Note: Adding Samuel’s voice is a great move in creating voice diversity. However, Samuel’s voice cannot do everything that the in-built Alexa voice can do. In case you want to interact with a voice skill, set a reminder, or do your shopping list, then the original default voice will respond.
What Are the Voice Profiles in Alexa?
Amazon Alexa normally uses voice profiles in order to recognize the user’s voice. This is important in providing a customized user experience. Some personalized active voice profile features include:
- Flash briefing: skipping of news items and stories that you had initially heard.
- Alexa messaging and calling: you can make calls, send or receive messages.
- Music: Alexa usually personalizes music playback using your voice.
- Shopping: in case you have a voice code-enabled, then there is no need to say the voice code for every complete subsequent purchase.
How Can You Improve Amazon Alexa Voice Recognition?
Generally, Alexa-enabled devices are usually great in voice recognition. However, there are some instances where it may become challenging for the device to hear your voice. This normally leads to misunderstanding. But if this happens (it happens often), then there are several things that you can do to significantly improve voice recognition ability of the Alexa-enabled device.
1. Use the In-Built Voice Training Feature
This is one of the best ways to improve Alexa voice recognition. The in-built voice training feature helps Alexa to understand you in a better way because it learns how you speak. You need to recite several phrases using your typical voice from a reasonable distance. To access the voice training feature, launch your app and then go to settings:
- Click on the accounts section and then select voice training.
- Tap the disclosure triangle and then choose your device.
- Now tap on Next and then start your voice training.
2. Move the Device to Another Place
When people buy Alexa-enabled devices, they normally tend to put them in a specific place. Often, most of them place it close to the TV or any other part in the room that acts as a focal point. Don’t place your device near the TV because instead of taking in your voice commands, it will now get confused and start taking voice commands from the TV.
Although Amazon Alexa has an excellent voice recognition feature, it’s important to place it away from other devices that produce sound as they may make voice filtering challenging. The presence of several voices in the room will make Alexa fail to understand which command to follow. So, make sure that you place the Alexa-enabled device in a neutral place away from interrupting loud noises.
3. Keep the Voice-Recognition Device in The Open
Keeping your Alexa-enabled in congested and closed spaces can make voice recognition difficult. Do not put it inside a cabinet, closet, or behind your furniture. Place it in the open and where you can see it. This way, it will be able to easily and clearly hear your voice.
Note: Using these three options will significantly improve how the Alexa-enabled device to clearly hear your voice commands.
Can You Program Alexa to Say Things?
Yes! Alexa has become more personal than ever. This means that you can program and customized it various questions with more personalized responses. This feature is vital in creating skills that help users get the most out of it.
Why Do People Love Using Alexa Voice?
This voice assistant allows you to communicate by just using your voice. It allows you to perform multiple tasks and handle various activities without using your hands. Thus, it makes your life easier and more comfortable in the following ways:
- Make calls and send messages: the Alexa voice command allows you to keep in touch with family and friends. This is a free feature that all Amazon Alexa users can access.
- Voice shopping: have you tried voice shopping? Well, if you are a prime member, you can conveniently do this. You can use your voice to choose from the millions of items available on Amazon. Whether it’s a food item, toiletry, or furniture, simply ask Alexa to make an order for. And what if you change your mind? Well, you can still use Alexa to cancel your orders. Note that Alexa normally uses your past orders in order to choose the best product available. In case you have never ordered such a product, it will use customer reviews to give you a list of the top-rated products that are available.
- Play Your Favorite Music: do you want a personal DJ whom you can instruct to play your favorite song? You don’t need to employ one if you have Alexa. By just using your voice, you can create a personalized playlist. Your favorite songs will be played depending on your needs or the occasion you are in. but what if you just remember a few lines from a song with no clue of the title? You don’t need to worry about this if you have Alexa. Simply say the lines you remember and Alexa will easily pick up from there.
- Find a meal recipe or place food order: are you looking for a specific meal recipe or you have ingredients and don’t know what you can prepare? You can use Alexa to access thousands of food recipes online. Note that Alexa can even send the recipe to your phone directly if you provide your phone number.
- Find your favorite movies and TV programs: in case you have Echo Show or Fire Stick, you can conveniently ask Alexa to search some of your favorite movies and programs from Prime Video. To enhance the search process, you can now search for a movie by using the name of your favorite actor or actress. Moreover, you can use Alexa’s voice to show all the movie items found in your watch list.
- Do your workout: You can tell Alexa something like “ a 10-minute workout” and you will be set. By using this voice command, Alexa will efficiently coach you through your workout within the stipulated time.
- Location search: do you want to go out and eat or are you looking for a certain hotel/institution within your city or country? Well, you can easily ask Alexa to check that for you. If it’s a restaurant or hotel, Alexa will even give you the ratings that previous customers had left.
- Operate other devices: with Alexa voice, you can control your TV, fans, locks, thermostats, lights, and switches among others.
How to Delete Your Alexa Voice Profile
Sometimes you may want to delete your Alexa voice recordings because of privacy or personal reasons. To do this:
- Go to the settings area
- Choose Alexa privacy
- Click on the Review Voice History
- Click to turn on the Enable Deletion by Voice option on or off.
Note: you can issue a voice command to delete everything recorded for the day. Alternatively, you can set voice recordings to be deleted automatically. However, voice recordings are important in improving your interactions with Alexa. They help to enhance accuracy hence deleting them usually degrades the quality of your experience.
What Are Devices that Are Compatible with Alexa?
Alexa is very easy to operate and it’s compatible with a wide range of devices. They include the Echo range of devices including Echo Dot, Echo Plus, Echo Show, and Amazon Echo. In addition to those, it’s also compatible with Fire Tablet and Fire TV. Note that there are also third-party devices that have in-built Alexa as well.
What Are Some of the Downsides of Using Alexa Voice?
Technology has changed the way we do things. There’s no doubt that using Alexa Voice has made a lot of things that we do online easy. However, this doesn’t mean that there are no downsides of using it.
- Common outages: they have been several occasions where users have reported that Alexa voice failed to work. This is not a one-time thing but a frequent issue. For instance, the speaker may fail several times when reading an audiobook.
- Other people can access your echo conversations: this is a serious breach of privacy and can result in security threats. What’s worse is that each voice command can get deleted easily.
- You have to “wake” Alexa: although you can issue voice commands at any time, you need to use wake terms to wake Alexa. Even while doing this seems to be an inconvenience, having an Alexa- enabled device always on can lead to unwarranted “surveillance” inside your home or apartment. You don’t want to use a service that’s constantly listening to what you speak.
- Unwanted purchases: it’s very easy to make shopping orders with voice control. However, sometimes Alexa may pick up your voice and make unwanted purchases without your knowledge. Its, therefore, important to set a PIN that will help you confirm purchases.
- The audio records can be accessed by amazon: note that all the digital records coming from the audio spoken by the user after the “wake up” command will be retained.
Note: while using Alexa voice can save you money and time, you need to exercise caution when using it. It helps to save time by allowing you to place orders, charge room temperature, and others. However, the above cons indicate that you need to be careful what you tell Alexa.
How Can You Get the Most Out of Alexa Voice?
To maintain your privacy and facilitate seamless use of Alexa Voice, here are some of the crucial tips that you can implement.
- Control voice purchasing by using a voice code PIN code to confirm your order.
- Use the multi-room music option to pair your Echo devices. This creates a multi-room music experience that’s great for parties.
- Set up your routines on Alexa. For instance, you can say “Alexa, Good Morning?” and you will experience several series of processes such as curtains opening, lights turning on, door locks opening, among others.
- Add a calendar details to your echo device and ask Alexa what appointments or commitments you have on a specific date.
- Add it your daily commune information into the Alexa app and get traffic updates.
- You can mute the wake word or change it.
- Personalize your flash briefing so that you only get the information that you want.
The best thing about using Alexa voice is the versatility it adds to your life. For starters, it’s clear that using a voice command helps to save time and money. You don’t need to go out and search for five-star restaurants, the best spots for a night movie, etc. Additionally, you only need to talk and you will get your preferred response or task done. You can even change the language so that Alexa’s voice is similar to the accent that you are familiar with. While there are still a few languages that are used with Alexa voice, we can definitely expect more language updates in the future. In addition to that, more upgrades are expected to be integrated, so, users can expect new skills and features.