Mobile hotspots provide an efficient and convenient way to enjoy a reliable Wi-Fi connection.
If you are a gamer simultaneous device connection, great down download speeds, and data sharing are some of the essential things that may push you to consider getting a mobile hotspot. But what are some of the best devices in the market?
Here is a look at our top 8 Best picks!
Best Mobile Hotspot For Gaming
- Inseego MiFi M2100
- Netgear nighthawk MR110
- ZTE Velocity Hotspot
- Jetpack 8800L
- Skyroam Solis Lite
- Skyroam Solis X-Smartspot
- MiFi 8000
- GlocalMe U2S Network Mobile Hotspot
Best Mobile Hotspot For Gaming
Inseego MiFi M2100 allows you to get the most out of your gaming. This is a new type of hotspot that has replaced the Inseego 5G MiFi M100 that Verizon used to provide. It should be noted that this device not only works with 5G networks but it also effectively supports Dynamic Spectrum Sharing. This means that it can efficiently operate in 4G spectrums.
M2100 MiFi is based on a 100% fiber-optic network. So, it offers the best fastest and most reliable internet that all gamers definitely want. You can also pair it with multiple devices and it will still deliver impeccable 4K picture quality.
- Superfast Fios GB Connection: effectively facilitates a lag-free gaming experience. It’s ideal for households that are tech-oriented.
- Fast upload and download speeds: you can use this mobile to virtually stream anything
- 100% fiber-optic: fast and reliable internet with 4K picture quality
- Comes with a 24-hour battery life
- Supports dynamic spectrum sharing
- Delivers amazing picture quality without lagging
- Has been specifically designed to run on Verizon’s network
Nighthawk MR1100 offers a premium gaming experience with its versatile features. This premium mobile hotspot can quickly upgrade your home Wi-Fi experience. It normally delivers fast download speeds and it’s effective for streaming as well as sharing of media.
For a gamer, the LTE Mobile hotspot allows you to enjoy all your sessions without lagging behind. It has a download speed of 1 GB per second and comes with a USB and SD Ports for sharing data. It should be noted that its battery has a longer life compared to what many mobile hotspots offer.
For an intuitive gaming experience, this mobile hotspot has an app-driven user interface for managing device settings, network settings, and monitoring data usage. Gamers also have the option of reducing interference and enhancing performance with the 802.11 ac, dual-band concurrent 2.4GHz / 5 GHz Wi-Fi.
- 4G LTE Network support: it works with 4G LTE Advanced-Category 16 alongside a 4X4 MIMO, LAA, AND 4-Band carrier aggregation
- Long battery life: the hotspot comes with a powerful battery that can last up to 24 hours during continuous use
- Intuitive user interface: you can use the app-driven interface to manage different settings and data usage
- It has fast download and upload speeds for a wholesome gaming experience
- Travel-friendly router with Ethernet/Wi-Fi offloading capabilities
- Comes with parental controls for content access
- It works with several phone carriers
- There are multiple complaints in relation to battery charging
- Its set-up is quite complex
This is another outstanding 4G LTE Mobile hotspots that any gamer would enjoy to use. ZTE Velocity guarantees users a seamless gaming experience thanks to its download speeds that can reach up to 150 Mbps.
For versatility, the hotspot is GSM unlocked and this means that you can use it with any type of GSM network micro-SIM card. The efficiency of ZTE Velocity is based on the fact that it supports dual-band Wi- Fi i.e. 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Additionally, it also supports up to 10 devices at any time.
- Supports various network bands: they include 2/4/5/, 15/29 LTE bands with dual Wi-Fi support
- Battery life: it can withstand continuous usage of up to 10 hours
- Simultaneous device connection: the device comes with a single-core QUALCOMM MDM9225 Processor that can be used to simultaneously connect up to 10 device
- Faster download speeds: it can reach up to the highs of 150 Mbps
- Supports 4G LTE with a faster download speed
- You can easily connect up to 10 devices
- Has a separate guest Wi-Fi to enhance user security
- It has dual-band Wi-Fi for efficiency
- Its battery life is quite short
- The hotspot doesn’t work with all types of phone carriers
It’s considered the best mobile hotspot for Verizon. Jetpack 8800L allows any user to stay productive throughout the day thanks to its 44400 mAh what has long-lasting benefits. It should be noted that this device can run continuously for 24 hours unplugged hence guaranteeing reliability. With its QuickCharge technology, it also takes a few minutes to “re-fuel” it.
MiFi 8800L is the first type of CAT-18 LTE mobile hotspot designed with 2, 3, and 5 carriers for LAA and CA technology. As a result, it allows users to enjoy a faster connection. For a gamer, you will certainly enjoy the deliverability of this device as it’s faster than ever.
Its DL/UL speeds have been optimized to ensure that you remain connected. Additionally, you can use it to access Wi-Fi in more than 200 countries. This is because the device comes with global-ready features for a better connection.
- 4400 mAh battery: It allows you to stay productive with up to 24 hours of battery life
- Optimized DL/UL Speeds: facilitates easier connection in more places. You can also simultaneously connect to the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands for enhanced speeds, a better quality of connection, and lower network congestion
- User-friendly interface: the 2.4-inch touchscreen provides an intuitive user interface for better management of your hotspot’s settings
- Secure connectivity: the device comes with an in-built auto VPN that always facilitates a secure connection
- Highly versatile and ideal for international use
- Has a long-lasting battery life
- It has an intuitive touchscreen to enhance the efficiency of use
- If you are not a Verizon customer, you are still expected to open an account with this carrier
It’s a good rental option that can still cater to the needs of any gamer. Solis Lite is affordable and its connectivity features a comprehensive array of various international cellular bands. You don’t have to make a commitment or signup for anything since this is a highly flexible option.
Highly versatile and ideal for international use
Has a long-lasting battery life
It has an intuitive touchscreen to enhance the efficiency of use
Its download speeds are generally good, however, this depends on the data plan you choose. For instance, you can go for $99 for an unlimited monthly subscription. This comes in handy if you need constant internet for streaming. However, you can also choose the $9 global day-pass or even $6 that comes with a 1GB data plan if you are in Europe or the US.
This mobile hotspot can connect up to 10 devices and it works in a similar way just like the expensive Solis X hotspot device.
- Blazing internet speeds: they are superfast and involve 4G LTE Wi-Fi speeds globally
- Global Wi-Fi: You don’t need any SIM card to connected and you can easily use it to access unlimited Wi-Fi in more than 130 countries
- Long-lasting battery: this mobile hotspot is ideal for intense gaming sessions thanks to its Wi-Fi battery than can stay up to 18 hours or more
- Shareable: the device allows you to connect up to 10 devices simultaneously
- Great speeds and global connection for user flexibility
- It has a generally good battery life
- Can easily connect multiple gadgets at once
- Delayed connections
Using its pay-as-you-go plan, Solis X-Smartspot allows you to enjoy gaming based on your data needs. It’s generally a great hotspot for serious gamers. It comes with an effective 4G LTE coverage and you can use it in more than 130 countries!
This is Wi-Fi that goes with you wherever you want. You can easily optimize it to meet your needs, thanks to its charge, connect, capture, and then control features.
- 4700 mAh Battery: it can last up to 16 hours if you use it continuously. The device also comes with a USB-C outlet that you can conveniently use to charge it while on the go
- Connect up to 10 devices: you can use it with your phone, laptop, tablet, or even share the internet with guest users
- Smart Assistant: it provides a fully customizable experience when it comes to settings and other functionalities
- 8 MP Camera: you can use it to live-stream or record content
- There are multiple data plans to cater to different budgets
- Allows you to connect up to 10 devices
- Comes with a built-in 8MP Camera
- The hotspot doesn’t come with a SIM Card slot
- Its internet speeds usually reduce once you hit the 20 GB mark
7. MiFi 8000
This mobile Wi-Fi hotspot is faster and allows you to stay connected regardless of where you are. Even though MiFi 8000 seems ideal for travelers, it’s also great for gamers looking for an affordable yet effective mobile hotspot.
The device has a simple design and it easily allows users to attain the ultimate download speeds. With its category-18 and 5X carrier aggregation, this MiFi can reach up to 1 Gbps speeds while on the Sprint network. It features the latest design protocols for efficiency, including password protection as well as Guest Wi-Fi Network.
- Download speeds: it can easily reach the ultimate download speed of 1 GBPS on Sprint
- Latest Wi-Fi protocols: MiFi 8000 runs simultaneously of dual-band Wi-Fi to deliver greater connection with minimal lagging speeds.
- Battery Life: the device can continuously run for 24 hours on a single charge. It also uses the latest QuickCharge technology to ensure that you fully charge the battery in just over 3 hours.
- MiFi Share: effectively supports file sharing through all the connected devices by using the secure network
- Great download speeds and battery life
- Comes with an onboard VPN for protection
- Offers excellent file sharing options
- Quite expensive
- If you are not a Sprint user, you will have to open a new account
This is a 4G LTE high-speed mobile hotspot that is ideal for use anywhere in the world. GlocalMe U2S doesn’t offer the benefit of convenience due to the fact that you can take it with you anywhere, it is also fast hence makes gaming and streaming a fun activity.
It has an attractive design with a high level of efficiency. GlocalMe comes with an intuitive touchscreen hotspot that bears resemblance to iPhone 4. This helps to facilitate data settings for better internet delivery that suits your needs.
With 18-hour battery life, you can rely on this device almost the whole day without plugging it in. Overall, this is an affordable mobile hotspot that comes with multiple data plans to suit different types of budgets.
- 4G LTE Data: effectively works in more than 100 countries and you can use it with different data plans
- Attractive touchscreen: ideal for enhancing customization of settings and promoting efficiency
- Long battery life: the device offers up to 18 hours of connection if left unplugged and used continuously
- Simultaneous connection: it can connect up to five devices and runs on a free app for effective data management
- Portable and highly efficient
- Offer faster download speeds
- Comes with a built-in USB-C port that facilitates faster charging
- It only connects up to 5 devices
- The download speeds depend on your location and network
Buyer’s Guide: What to Consider When Looking for a Mobile Hotspot for Gaming
For a gamer a strong internet connection with minimal interference is crucial. Besides that, multiple device connection simultaneously is important. Overall, you definitely want a mobile hotspot that will give you smoother and faster connections.
But what are some of the factors that you need to consider during the selection process?
Network/ Data Transmission Speeds
Before you buy a mobile hotspot, you need to consider if your cell phone can effectively support hotspot data based on LTE Speeds. LTE is important if you want to stay connected and enjoy good internet connectivity (there are also networks that are currently on 5G). However, if your mobile plan allows 3G hotspot speeds, then you might have to consider a separate device. This is because 3G speeds are quite low and for a gamer and you need a network connection that will offer a great download or upload speeds.
They are usually in Megabits or Gigabits per second, i.e. Mbps and Gbps. For gaming, we definitely recommend hotspot devices that deliver Gbps. They have faster and deliver better throughput and bandwidth. Gbps is effective in supporting HD streaming, especially when you are dealing with multiple devices simultaneously.
Besides that, it offers improved support for multiple devices and users. Additionally. it also has faster data transmissions when it comes to downloads and uploads. However, Mbps is also not bad. But for a gamer, the minimum Mbps should range between 3 and 6 Mbps.
Gaming sessions can be long and intense. Generally, the more you use your hotspot the more battery power it will use. The number of connected devices also plays a crucial role when it comes to determining the battery duration.
So, it’s important to consider a device that comes with good battery life. At the moment, the best mobile hotspots for gaming have 24-hour battery life. However, there are still some devices that come with a 16- hour or 18-hour battery life and they offer great performance. However, don’t choose something that has less than 10-hour battery life. You will spend most of your time charging rather than using it.
It’s also important to consider the charging duration. Devices that come with the QuickCharge technology are currently the best. This is because it only takes a few hours to fuel them.
You definitely want to enjoy your hotspot by easily connecting multiple devices at once. This means that you should consider a mobile hotspot device that can effectively handle simultaneous connections. Most mobile hotspots can support around 5 devices. However, there are still good ones that can connect up to 10 devices simultaneously.
These ones offer even better support. They allow you to connect all your devices and if you have guests or friends, you can easily add them to the network.
Not all mobile hotspots need a SIM card to work. On the other hand, there are those that need Sims Card. These ones are usually provided by a specific cellphone carrier for example Verizon or Sprint. So, it’s important to consider compatibility and if you need a specific SIM Card or not.
How to Effectively Use a Mobile Hotspot for Gaming:
There are certain functionalities that can help enhance the efficiency of your mobile hotspot. Let’s take a look at a few:
Limit multimedia use in other devices
If you are gaming, you obviously want the streaming process to be as smooth as possible. If you are sharing the hotspot with other devices, connectivity might slow down if they are also using the internet to view multimedia. You need to understand that there is a significant difference in bandwidth required when one is composing an email and watching music on YouTube. For effectiveness, we recommend that you reduce bandwidth consumption in other devices.
Optimize Your Wi-Fi Settings
Customization is important if you want to enjoy your mobile hotspot. For efficiency, always ensure that you configure your hotspot to cover shorter distances and produce low-power Wi-Fi. This will have a significant impact on the device’s battery life and you will end up using it for longer. However, the downside of this is that the connected devices might need to be placed closer to the hotspot. But we all want a router with long battery life, right?
Always Place the Device in a Dedicates Spot
If you are using multiple devices, then it’s important that you place the router in a specific strategic spot. This is a place where the device can effectively broadcast the network signals and still offer optimal coverage.
We understand that users want to connect as many devices as possible. However, hotspot devices may effectively cover a distance of up to 300 feet if you are outdoors and 100 feet indoors. So, it’s important to do your calculation and find a specific spot that offers optimal coverage for all your devices.
Note: even though the network signals can pass through ceilings and walls, the fewer the number of obstructions, the better the signal transmission.
Consider Background Apps
Always monitor the applications that are running in the background. Smartphones, tablets, and laptops are constantly running applications and if they are multiple apps running in the background, then this can interfere with your internet bandwidth.
For you to enjoy a seamless gaming experience, check if there are location-based services running. Consider your email apps as well as social media applications. To get the most out of your internet bandwidth, make sure that you disable any background application that you may not need at the moment.
Consider LTE Coverage
Even though we now have regions that support 5G, they are few. It’s also clear that not all areas support LTE/4G Coverage. So, before you buy or use your mobile hotspot device, it’s important that you do extensive research. If your location doesn’t support 4G/LTE, you might still have the chance to access an internet connection, however, everything will certainly be slow.
Generally, mobile hotspots provide a convenient way that allows users to remotely connect to the Internet without the need to use public Wi-Fi that’s usually unsafe. With the option to connect multiple devices simultaneously, these devices provide a better way to enhance user productivity.
There is a wide range of mobile hotspot devices in the market. The above-reviewed devices are among the best for gamers currently. They cut across different specifications and come with different price tags. This helps to cater to the different needs of various gamers. However, one thing is clear about all of them. They provide a greater internet connection for all gamers who need streaming services. So, buying one of these mobile hotspot for gaming will definitely offer you great value for money.